It has been on my heart for awhile now that I need to start at the beginning. I grew up in church and that does have a downside in communicating with people who are just starting out. I want you to understand me; terminology I use, parables, people, and verses. It is unproductive to have an audience who hasn’t been exposed to much Bible truth; and for me to talk about things that are over your heads. I do not want to overwhelm and frustrate anyone, so I am going to start posting once a week about things drug to church (as children) Christians take for granted. I am starting with identity. Who and what are we in Christ? This should follow every Christian until death. You need this information.
- You are a child of God. John 1:12
- You are a friend to Jesus. John 15:15
- You are justified and redeemed. Romans 3:24
- You are not condemned by God. Romans 8:1
- You are set free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:2
- You are a fellow heir with Christ. Romans 8:17
- You are accepted by Christ. Romans 15:7
- You are called a saint. 1 Corinthians 1:2
- In Jesus you have wisdom,righteousness, sanctification, and redemption 1 Corinthians 1:30
- Your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 6:19
- You are one spirit with the Lord. 1 Corinthians 6:17
- Your hardened mind is taken away through Christ. 2 Corinthians 3:14-16
- You are a new creature in Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- You have the righteousness of God through Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:21
- You are made one with Christ. Galatians 3:28
- You are set free through Christ. Galatians 5:1
- You have been blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realm . Ephesians 1:3
- You are chosen, holy, and blameless. Ephesians 1:4
- You are redeemed and forgiven through Christ. Ephesians 1:7
- You are predestined to obtain an inheritance.Ephesians 1:11
- You are sealed with the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 1:13
- You have been made alive with Christ. Ephesians 2:4-5
- You are seated in Heavenly places with Christ. Ephesians 2:6
- You are God’s workmanship created to do good works. Ephesians 2:10
- You have been brought near to God. Ephesians 2:13
- You are a partaker of His promise. Ephesians 3:6
- You are a citizen of Heaven. Philippians 3:20
- The peace of God guards your heart and mind. Philippians 4:7
- God will supply your every need. Philippians 4:19
- You have been raised up with Christ. Colossians 3:1
- Your life is hidden in Christ. Colossians 3:3
- God loves and has chosen you. Colossians 3:12
Whether or not this is new to you; it is hard to practice. I have been forming a thought over the past few days in my head about being offended. 1) I believe that God never wants any of His children to be offended; regardless of the offense. Jesus never spoke a offensive word about Judas, the Jews, the Pharisees, or the ungrateful. I know this to be true because He gives us our identity. It is not an identity of offense. The world opinion is of no consequence to Christians; we are one with Jesus; who cares what they think. 2) It is a worldly practice to be offended. The whole world is offended by something. We as Christians should not be shocked about the world hating Christ or us. Jesus said it himself “You will be hated by all for My name’s sake” (Matt 10:22) “If the world hates you, know that it hated Me before it hated you”(John 15:18). I am certain of this; Jesus does not want whining Christians. We are saints; we should act like it. We are free; we should act like it. We are justified and redeemed; we should act like it. When we take and use what God has called us (his children/royal heirs) it should make you want to forget about being a victim, forget about being helpless, forget about being watered down, and forget about being offended.
God has been working with me for a few months on not being offended. I took a blow to the heart today and I cried. I recognized I was encountering a passive type of offense to the heart (there are many ways to be offended). I had to go outside, where it was quiet and ask Him; “Who am I again?” I see the red neck girl from a two star town. My poor choices. My failures. God sees His princess.
There is this quote from the Little Princess “Whatever comes,” she said, “cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it.” When I read this a few weeks ago I stored it in my mind because I fell in love with this concept of being a princess and no one knowing it. It is so true for Christians, the world hates us; they don’t know what they are hating though. They haven’t got a clue that they are hating a rescuer, redeemer, salvation, freedom; they think they are enlightened; and we are bigots, fear mongers, and Bible thumpers. They don’t need us to be offended, they need us to know what God calls us so when they try to offend us we know they need love and not an argument over why we are right. I truly think strong Christians come from knowing who God is and who they are in Christ; this information is vital for one to be a “warrior”, passionate, and a fisher of men. Without the identity in Christ we lose confidence, become offensive, and are counter-productive.
May God bless your life. Show your friends. Pass it on. Comment and like.
(I made this list with the help of bible.org) This is a short list, there are many more identities and promises and they are a short read away. All you have to do is open your Bible. It is a daily struggle against the lie and the truth. At the end of the day just be sure that the truth wins.